Put burgers firmly back on the menu with our ultimate healthy burger recipe!
Whilst restaurant burgers can contain in excess of 1,500 calories, this nutritious lower calorie option can be enjoyed as part of your healthy diet.
Making your own burgers is really easy and allows you to eat succulent, 100% beef burgers without any of the fillers commonly found in pre-prepared supermarket versions.
“But what about the bun?” I hear you ask!
Isn’t that packed with gluten and highly-processed flour?
Nope! There’s no dodgy carbs here. These Ezekiel buns are low GI and contain only eight wholegrains, yeast, salt and water – far more nutritious than a typical restaurant’s preservative-packed brioche bun.
This recipe is incredibly versatile, and the ingredients listed here are just a guide. You could add another half a bun to increase the carbohydrate content, and use extra toppings to create your perfect burger.
Macros: Calories 620, Protein 39g, Carbs 37g, Fat 35g
- 1 Ezekiel 4:9® wholegrain burger bun (or gluten free alternative)
- 15g Kerrygold softer butter
- 100g grass fed steak mince or 1 vegetarian burger
- ½ roasted red pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 rasher of lean bacon
- 1 large flat mushroom
Optional extras: salsa, guacamole, Greek yoghurt marie rose sauce, cheese, etc… Side salad, wedges or vegetables of your choice.
- Shape the mince into a round ball, then flatten into a burger shape.
- Slice the burger bun in half. Place the bacon and bun under a hot grill for approximately seven minutes, until cooked/toasted to your liking.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Grill the burger in a closed George Foreman grill until cooked to your liking, or fry in the coconut oil if preferred. Fry the egg in the coconut oil.
- Once the bun has toasted, remove from under the grill and spread with butter.
- Layer the bacon, burger, mushroom and egg (plus any optional extras) on one half of the bun, then place the other half on top and slide a skewer through the middle to keep everything together.
- Enjoy with a side salad, our spicy sweet potato fries, parsnip wedges or other vegetables!