There’s always those few roasties and brussels sprouts left over after a big Christmas dinner. One person decides they don’t like sprouts this year and another has filled themselves up with too many pigs in blankets! Well now your Christmas leftovers don’t need to go to waste.
Along with a few added simple ingredients, you can turn your unwanted ends into a whole new meal, perfect for the post-Christmas blues. Collect up your leftovers and get yourselves making some of these delicious ‘bubble & squeak like’ savoury cake patties! – mmm mmmm!!!
Macros*: Calories 166 kcal, Protein 6g, Carbs 28g, Fat 3g
- 200g leftover roast potato
- 100g/5 leftover sprouts
- 20g onion
- 1/2 egg white
- 1/2 fresh chilli pepper
- 1/2 clove garlic
- Choice of oil for the pan
- Gather your leftovers and other ingredients, mash the roast potatoes until there are no large lumps (there is no need to take off the crispy skin, it adds texture and is the tastiest bit of a roastie!).
- Chop up your sprouts, onion, chilli and garlic very finely and mix all together.
- Combine all of the ingredients together and add the 1⁄2 egg white to help all of the ingredients bind.
- Mould into a big round ball and then split in half. Mould into two burger shapes – here are your cakes!
- Heat a pan on a medium-high heat with a choice of lubricant to help the cakes brown. When the pan is hot enough you can add the cakes.
- Fry off the cakes flipping once in a while, until hot through and brown and crispy on either side.
- Tuck in! These can be added as a side to cold leftover turkey, gammon, or any other meal you can think of!
*Note: Macros are given per leftover cake assuming this recipe makes two cakes.