This cake is sure to impress when you tell everyone it’s a healthy one! Made with mixed fruits, orange zest, cinnamon and marzipan… this is definitely Christmas in a cake!
Macros*: Calories 333 kcal, Protein 17.5g, Carbs 41g, Fat 11g
- 275g chopped mixed fruit (raisins, sultanas, apricots, dates, prunes – some supermarkets do a bag of chopped mixed fruit)
- 140g Sukrin reduced fat almond flour or oat flour (do not use ground almonds)
- 2 scoops vanilla whey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Zest of 1/2 large orange
- 110g liquid egg whites
- 1 x 100g pot of unsweetened apple puree
- 150g ground almonds
- 100g agave
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 110g Sukrin alternative to icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl, mix together the mixed fruit, almond or oat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla whey and orange zest.
- Add the egg whites and apple puree to the mixture and mix well to form a thick dough.
- Pour the dough into a cake pan lined with a bit of coconut oil to stop it sticking and smooth over the top to make it even and make sure the batter fills the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until fully baked throughout and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile make the marzipan by mixing together the ground almonds, agave and almond extract in a bowl. You want a consistency to be quite thick.
- When the cake is cool, press down the marzipan mixture on top of the cake so that it covers the whole of the top of the cake evenly.
- Next make the icing by taking the alternative to icing sugar and mixing with just enough water to make a thick paste.
- Spread this on top of the marzipan layer to cover the top of the cake completely.
*Note: Macros are given per slice of protein christmas cake assuming 8 slices in total.