Christmas wouldn’t be so special if it wasn’t packed full of treats and surprises! However, we understand that you want to keep your diet in check whilst still enjoying the festive season.
This is a deliciously innocent treat that will satisfy any sugary cravings with a fraction of the sugar and fats and will certainly not include any of the trans fats and chemicals that are added to most shop bought products!
Macros*: Calories 287 kcal, Protein 1g, Carbs 54g, Fat 3g
- 40g whole oats
- ½ apple of choice
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (any natural sweetener, honey or syrup)
- 1 egg white
- 10ml/a splash of milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda (not a necessity but gives it a nice fluffy lift)
Note: The majority of the carbs that are sugar (15g) comes from the apple, therefore it is a healthy source of natural sugars with a medium GI. If you’d like slightly less carbohydrates, use less apple or a less sugary fruit such as berries.
- To buy the ingredients: £6.08
- To make the recipe: £0.47. This means you’ll have oats, apple, agave nectar, eggs, milk, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda left over.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, slice the apple into disks and place on a lined baking tray and place in the oven for around 10 minutes.
- Whilst you wait, combine the oats, egg, bicarbonate of soda, milk and cinnamon in a mug or glass (we suggest a mug but did it in a clear glass so you could see the ingredients).
- Give it a good mix until all of the ingredients are mixed and bound together.
- Remove the apple from the oven, carefully flip each disk over and spread a thin layer of agave nectar over the top of each one. This gives the apples a nice caramelised taste and texture.
- Place them back in the oven for another 10 minutes to continue softening.
- Simply place the oat mix in the microwave for around 1.5 minutes until it has risen and cooked.
- Remove the apple disks from the oven, flip the mug upside down and present as you wish on a plate!
- Dig in… Enjoy!