For you coconut lovers out there, these macaroons are the perfect treat. They pack a protein punch and they’re oh-so simple to make. They also make the perfect fit foodie gift and last a long time (if you can resist eating them) so are great to fill that empty biscuit tin!
Makes: 12 macaroons
Macros*: Calories 121 kcal, Protein 5g, Carbs 5g, Fat 9g
Basic ingredients for protein macaroons:
- 175g desiccated coconut
- 2 scoops white chocolate whey (can use vanilla) (50g)
- 60g agave/honey
- 60g egg whites
For the White Choc Raspberry macaroons add 1 tsp freeze dried raspberry powder.
For the White Choc Cacao Nib macaroons add: 1 tbsp cacao nibs.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (355F).
- In a bowl, mix together the desiccated coconut and whey protein.
- Add in the agave and egg whites and mix to form a sticky coconut mixture.
- If you are making both flavours, separate the mixture in half into another bowl.
- To one mixture add in the freeze dried raspberry powder and mix through the mixture to coat all of it in the powder.
- To the other mixture, stir through to cacao nibs.
- Line a tray with baking paper or a silicone mat. Shape each mixture into equal sized round balls with a flat bottom (tip: use the palm of your hand to shape them) and put onto the baking tray.
- Bake the macaroons for 3-5 minutes until they just start to go golden in colour.
- Leave to cool completely so that they firm up — they may still be soft when they come out of the oven.
- Enjoy yourself, or you could even put them in a gift box for a fitness fanatic friend’s birthday!
*Note: Macros are given per protein macaroon without added extras.