Are you fed up of plain old porridge oats?
Not only can oats get a bit monotonous after a while, but a big bowl of oats only offers you one thing: carbs, and lots of them!
Now there’s nothing wrong with carbs — they’re great for boosting performance and recovery — but a meal of just carbs is generally not ideal for anyone!
That’s where this proats (short for protein-oats) recipe comes in.
Its decadent double-chocolate flavour comes from chocolate protein powder and dark chocolate, meaning your oats now contain a complete source of protein and lots of healthy fats.
Topped with berries and the nut butter of your choice, this is a simple macro-friendly meal that never fails to disappoint!
The macros are also really easy to tweak. The only thing you need to maintain is the 3:1 ratio of milk to oats — always use 3 – 3.5 times the milk than the oats (in grams) and you’ll be fine!
- Want more/less fats? Increase/decrease the peanut butter or dark chocolate.
- Want more/less carbs? Increase/decrease the quantity of oats.
- Want less calories? Half the quantities of everything.
Macros*: Calories 790, Protein 51g, Carbs 73g, Fat 32g
- 100g Oats
- 300-350ml (or 300-350g) Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (we used 40g MyProtein Total Protein)
- 2 Squares (20g) 85% Dark Chocolate
- 1 tbsp (15g) Peanut Butter
- 1 Handful Frozen Berries
- Combine the oats and almond milk in a microwaveable bowl (with room to spare) and chuck it in the microwave for 2 minutes (for a 700W microwave – reduce the time if using a more powerful microwave).
- Give the oats a quick stir and put back in the microwave for a minute more.
- Remove the oats from the microwave and mix in the chocolate protein powder. Start by pressing the protein into the oats with the back of a spoon until it has mostly been absorbed by the oats before stirring (this makes it mix much quicker and easier!). Tip: if it gets really dry and thick at this point, add some more milk and stir it in.
- Next chuck in the squares of dark chocolate and stir that too so that it melts into the proats.
- Finally, add your peanut butter and frozen berries (it’s up to you whether you stir these in) and enjoy!
*Note: Macros are given assuming one big serving.