Weight Training 101
- Weight training burns fat, boosts your metabolism and builds lean muscle.
- Cardio just burns fat (and also burns muscle).
- Reps = how many times you do an exercise (stands for repetitions).
- Sets = completing a set means completing a specific number of reps. Sets are performed one after another with a rest period in between each one. For example:
- 1) Bicep curl – 4 x 10 = 4 sets of 10 reps of bicep curls
- Superset = do two (or more) different exercises in a row without taking a rest, for example:
- 2a) Shoulder press – 3 x 10 reps
- 2b) Bicep curl – 3 x 10 reps
- Failure = the point in a set when you can no longer lift the weight with good technique.
- Choose a weight which you can complete the required number of reps (with good form) with a couple of reps left “in the tank”.
- When trying to find the right weight to lift, err on the side of caution. Start with a lighter weight and build up.