This Mexican chicken recipe is inspired by the fajita kits which you might find at your local supermarket! If you’ve ever tried one of these kits, you’ll know that the chicken is absolutely delicious. Unfortunately the spice mix tends to contain quite a lot of sugar and salt. This recipe recreates that smoky, spicy chicken flavour without any added nasties!
Rather than putting this chicken into a white fajita wrap, we have paired it with basmati rice which is a better carb source. This recipe takes hardly any time to cook and prepare, you should be able to make this in around 20 minutes. The recipe makes three portions and reheats really well so is perfect for meal prep!
Macros (per serving): Calories 713 kcal, Protein 45g, Carbs 92g, Fats 23g
- 350g Raw chicken breast
- 300g Basmati Rice
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Bell peppers
- 1 Sweet pointed pepper
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chipotle paste
- 1/2 tsp Piri-piri sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 90g Grated mozzarella cheese
1. Slice the three peppers and the chicken into thin strips and boil a kettle of water to cook the rice. Weigh out your rice into a saucepan then add boiling water equal to roughly twice the volume of rice.
2. Bring the rice to the boil on a medium heat then turn the heat down to minimum and put a lid on the pan. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat then put the chicken and peppers into the pan when the oil is hot.
3. Season the chicken and peppers with the paprika and chipotle paste then stir continuously for around 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
4. Put the tomatoes and piri-piri sauce into the pan with the chicken and peppers and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
5. Remove both pans from the heat and serve the rice and chicken topped with with grated mozzarella cheese and avocado.