There’s something so amazingly moreish about Mexican food!
Fajitas, tacos and quesadillas — who doesn’t like ’em?
It’s so full of flavour, and personally, Mexican food never fails to remind me of those amazing cloudless summer days.
However, those Mexican foods all have one thing in common — the tortillas and tacos used are usually made of flour (there are corn varieties, but they’re harder to find here in the UK).
I wanted to find a tortilla equivalent that still retained that unique Mexican flavour, and that’s when I stumbled across this recipe by Jamie Oliver. The recipe you see on this page is adapted from Jamie’s with a little TEG twist.
This recipe combines the scrumptious salty flavours of a cheddar cheese omelette with the fresh zestiness of a lime-infused Mexican slaw.
We’ve then thrown in a chipotle chicken breast for good measure. Think low-carb fajitas and you get the idea.
Macros*: Calories 479, Protein 46g, Carbs 15g, Fat 26g
- 4 large eggs
- 1 chicken breast (optional)
- 1 tsp Chipotle paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ ripe avocado, de-stoned and skin removed
- 2 limes
- 1 large handful fresh coriander
- ½ small onion
- ½ small carrot
- ¼ white cabbage
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- 30g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Butterfly your chicken breast and smother in the chipotle paste. Place under the grill or on a screaming hot griddle pan for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Chuck the following into a blender or mini food processor: avocado, juice of one lime, coriander stalks, natural yogurt and olive oil. Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and carrot, finely slice the cabbage and very finely slice the chilli. Chuck all this into a bowl, pick over most of the coriander leaves, add the avocado dressing and mix it all together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Take your chicken breast off the grill and leave on a plate to cool before slicing it up.
- Place a medium-sized non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. Using a fork, whisk up two of the eggs in a bowl and then pour into the frying pan, tilting the pan to make sure it covers the pan. As the omelette begins to set, sprinkle over half the grated cheddar cheese.
- Slide the omelette out of the pan and onto a plate. Place a handful of the cabbage slaw on top, and then some of your sliced chicken breast. Roll it up like a fajita, squeeze over some more lime juice and tear over some coriander. Repeat for the second omelette and tuck in!
Note: Macros are given assuming this makes 2 servings.