Everyone loves chips, but they don’t fit into a healthy fitness lifestyle, right? Not exactly.
You can actually make some healthy homemade oven chips yourself. This recipe only uses regular white potatoes and a small amount of olive oil and/or coconut oil, both of which have tons of health benefits. By oven-cooking the chips, you avoid deep frying the chips in nasty old vegetable oil, which is the real reason that chips are usually considered hugely unhealthy.
You can smash of a batch of these chips in under half an hour, and enjoy every couple of weeks as a little cheat meal. They go great with grilled meat such as chicken or steak, and you can even add some healthy homemade avocado mayo on the side for a healthy sauce.
Macros (if 1 serving): Cals 414kcal, Protein 7.0g, Carbs 73.0g, Fat 10.0g
- 450g White Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- Preheat the oven to max 220°C (430 F). Half fill a large pan with water and put on the boil.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1cm by 1cm slices (approx. 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch). Lay out all the cut chips on the chopping board and use some kitchen towel to pat them dry, removing the starch (to prevent them going soggy).
- Once the water has boiled, chuck in the potatoes and blanch for 3 minutes only.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Return to the pan and add a tablespoon of coconut oil and all the seasonings. Wait for the coconut oil to melt, put a lid on the pan and then shake the pan around to evenly coat all of the chips in the oil and seasoning – this is essential to stop them sticking to the tray and to make them nice and crispy!
- Coat a large baking tray evenly with the coconut oil (you can use olive oil or butter instead if you don’t have any coconut oil). Tip over the chips and make sure there’s plenty of space between them so that they cook properly (if they’re too close together they will steam and go soggy) – you might need two trays for this. Place the tray(s) in the oven on the top shelf.
- Cook the chips for 20 minutes, turning them at least 2 times to make sure they cook evenly.