Mayonnaise is generally frowned upon by us fitness fanatics, as it is relatively high in calories and contains bad fats from vegetable oils. Then there are the lighter and lighter than light options, which both have tons of added salt and sugar to make up for the lack of taste from a reduction in fat – I think we’ll agree these are NOT healthy options!
Our healthy mayo recipe is made from eggs, extra virgin olive oil, mustard and lemon. These are all natural ingredients unprocessed or with processing kept to a minimum to give your body the healthiest fuel for exercise and recovery. The olive oil is made up of all monounsaturated fats, which makes it a much healthier option than any vegetable oil. Although the egg yolk contains a little saturated fat, a moderate amount of saturated fat is not at all bad for you, contrary to popular belief.
This homemade mayonnaise is very healthy, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t calorific. Since it is predominantly (healthy) fats, and fats have 9 kcal per g, it is naturally going to be relatively calorific, so enjoy it but not in too great a quantity if you’re eating for fat loss.
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 100ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper
You can make this by whisking it by hand, but it’s an absolute PITA! Use a small food processor or hand blender to make it quick and easy – if you have already worked out for the day you will thank us after!
- Separate the egg yolk from the white. Either discard the white or you can drink it for a protein boost if you’re hardcore!
- Chuck the egg yolk into the blender, and squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Add the mustard and a reasonable pinch of salt and pepper. You can always add more when you’re tasting it later, so don’t overdo it at this stage.
- Start the food processor off and very slowly add the olive oil drop by drop. The mixture will slowly begin to emulsify and thicken up. When this begins to happen, you can being to add it a little faster. Be careful not to go overboard and chuck it all in as if you go too fast then it will separate and you’ll have to start all over again!
- Once you have mixed in all of the oil, you should have a delicious creamy healthy mayo. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Store in the fridge, and it will keep for up to a week.