Crispy potato skins have a great combination of crunchy skin and tasty flesh which makes them a joy to eat. Paired with a fresh, summery salad and delicious strips of chicken, this recipe gives you a good balance of proteins, carbs and healthy fats as well as a ton of vitamins and minerals! You should be able to whip this recipe up in around 35-40 minutes.
By using three different herbs for each part of this recipe plus a wide variety of ingredients for the salad, we ensure that we’re getting a wide variety of different vitamins and minerals. Coriander has been traditionally used in parts of India for it’s anti inflammatory properties and has recently been studied for it’s cholesterol lowering effects. Mint leaves can help soothe your digestive system and have been shown to protect against cancer and bacterial growth. Parsley is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K as well as tons of minerals! It contains powerful anti-oxidants and can help to protect against heart disease and arthritis.
Servings: 1-2 depending on your nutrition goals (Macros shown are for one serving)
Macros: Calories 1015 kcal, Protein 58g (23%), Carbs 98g (39%), Fat 43g (38%)
Crispy Potato Skins:
- 400g White potatoes
- 30g Grated lighter mature cheese (Cathedral City)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 120g Chicken breast
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Handful of coriander
- Half an orange
- 2 Medium carrots
- 2 Handfuls of spinach, watercress and rocket salad leaves
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 1 Medium tomato
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 5g Pine nuts
- Handful of mint leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 220C (430F) and meanwhile, place the potatoes into a microwaveable dish or tupperware and cook in the microwave on full power for 10 minutes.
2. Whilst the potatoes are in the microwave, peel and grate the carrots, slice each orange segment in half and chop the tomato and cucumber into chunky pieces. Combine with the salad leaves and torn up mint leaves in a large bowl.
3. Take the potatoes out of the microwave and put them into the oven on a baking tray for around 15 minutes. Check them every 5 minutes until the skins start to turn a golden colour.
4. Whilst the potatoes are in the oven, butterfly the chicken breast and season with black pepper and chopped coriander leaves. Place into a large frying pan and cook gently on a low to medium heat for around 5-10 minutes turning half way through. Cut into the chicken breast at the thickest point to ensure it is cooked through then remove from the heat.
5. Take the potatoes out of the oven when the skins have started to go golden and crispy. Halve each one then scoop out the inside of each potato, leaving a thin layer of potato on the inside of the skin (roughly 3-5mm). Spoon all of the potato flesh into a large bowl.
6. Put the potato skins back into the oven, skin side down for a further 5 minutes. Whilst they are cooking, add the olive oil, grated cheese and parsley to the potato flesh and mix well until combined.
7. Take the crispy potato skins out of the oven and scoop the filling into them. Put them back into the oven for a further 5 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, put the pine nuts into a frying pan without oil and toast on a medium heat, tossing them constantly to avoid burning. When the nuts are lightly toasted combine them with the rest of the salad ingredients and finish with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
9. Slice the chicken breast into strips and serve on top of the side salad. Finally, take the crispy potato skins out of the oven and enjoy!