It’s a sin not to have a birthday cake on your birthday, but when you’re trying to eat clean it isn’t exactly part of a healthy diet and we know we ought to say no.
My birthday is looming, and as a self-confessed chocoholic, I decided to create an indulgent chocolate cake minus the preservatives, sugar content, and other added nasties.
This cake is free of refined sugar, dairy, wheat and gluten! On top of that, it tastes amazing and you won’t have to miss out on a slice of birthday cake after all.
Macros*: Calories 165 kcal, Protein 12g, Carbs 11g, Fat 8g
- 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein
- 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 can of drained black beans
- ¼ cup of peanut butter
- ⅓ cup of stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil at room temp (+ extra to grease the tin)
- 2 tbsp PB2 powdered peanut butter
- ⅓ cup of Greek yogurt
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Grease a round cake tin with coconut oil or line with greaseproof paper.
- Add all of the ingredients, except those for the frosting, to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more or less sweetener as required.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for approximately 20-25mins. Check with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked right through.
- Allow cool on a wire rack for 45-60mins before frosting.
- For the frosting, simply mix the PB2 with a tablespoon of water to make a paste and stir in the yogurt. Stir well to ensure no lumps.
- Frost the cake and sprinkle with chocolate chips, enjoy!
*Note: Macros are given per slice of protein cake assuming 8 slices in total.