The Bulgarian Split Squat is a lower body exercise that primarily targets the quadriceps but also works the calves, glutes and hamstrings. This is a compound exercise which is well suited to expert lifters.
- Stand about a metre in front of a bench, step or chair holding a pair of light dumbbells in your hands.
- Place your back foot up on the bench, step or chair.
- Your front foot should be flat and your rear foot either on its toes or resting on the top of the foot.
- Slowly lower your body vertically by bending the rear leg and go as low as you can go whilst still keeping your back upright.
- Squeeze your butt and leg muscles to raise your body back to the start position.