The Box Step Up is a lower body exercise that primarily targets the quadriceps, but also works the calves, glutes and hamstrings. This is a compound exercise which is well suited to intermediate lifters.
- Use a box, ledge or step that is approximately 45cm (1½ foot) high.
- Hold a pair of light dumbbells in each hand.
- Place one foot firmly on the step and then drive up with the other leg, maintaining your balance, until your thigh is horizontal.
- Lower yourself back down in a slow, controlled manner and repeat.
- Keep your hips tilted forwards and body upright throughout the movement.