This puts a perfect healthy spin on the classic American combo of pancakes, bacon and maple syrup.
Of course you can omit the bacon as the pancakes are fantastic with anything but due to their fluffy, crumpet-like texture.
They work great with savoury foods like bacon and eggs. The recipe is also gluten free, wheat free, paleo and low carb!
Makes: 4 pancakes
Macros: Calories 478, Protein 35g, Carbs 28g, Fat 25g
- ¼ cup (40g) coconut flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 smoked or maple cured rashers of bacon
- Sugar free pancake syrup (Walden Farms) or Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp melted Coconut oil (and extra for frying the pancakes)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir in the egg, egg white, almond milk and teaspoon of coconut oil. Stir until thoroughly combined. This may take a few minutes and the mixture will be quite thick.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat for a minute or two. Grease it with a good dollop of coconut oil – around 2 teaspoons. Make sure the pan is good and hot before you add the batter – while the pan is heating up place the bacon under the grill or alternatively, cook it in the same pan as the pancakes!
- Pour your desired amount of batter onto the pan – you should have enough to make 4 medium sized pancakes. Cook until golden on one side, and flip using a large spatula (the pancakes are quite delicate so be careful when flipping). Cook until golden on a low-medium heat.
- Stack the pancakes onto a plate, place the bacon on top, and drizzle (or smother) syrup on the top – I also like to add a few blueberries to the dish!